Wednesday, September 9, 2009

Opening my shirt for a better world.

My son is exclusively breastfed, and it's surprising how controversial that act is. Mammals, by definition, produce milk designed for their offspring. It would be considered utter folly to take a young deer from his mother to be fed modified walrus milk, but that's exactly what human mothers the world over are expected to do with their young. The AAP, WHO, and the Qur'an, among others, recommend human milk as the best food for infants and young toddlers. Human milk costs nothing to produce, does not require sterile containers and can be stored for longer periods than artificial baby milk. Its constituents cannot be duplicated commercially, as no living substance can be. It is not a miracle food, but it comes close.

It's the best food for human babies, and is quite practical for almost anyone who can produce it naturally- that is, most mothers. Why, then, is it portrayed as somehow less desirable for mothers, especially those who work outside the home?

I'm not going to indulge in conspiracy theories, but I will say this: it's considered more profitable for a company to have a market full of people who can least afford expensive consumable goods. It's considered a luxury, not a necessity, for mothers to take the time needed to feed their babies. It's considered perfectly OK to shell out large amounts of money for inferior food for the sake of "convenience". It's part of the reason why the poorest people have the poorest health outcomes- besides the expense of health care, good nutrition is viewed as too expensive, inconvenient, and only for tree-hugging hippies. But when one factors in the cost of days missed from work due to illness, the link between poor nutrition and behavioral problems in school-age children, and the higher cost on a cumulative basis of "convenience" food, you see that convenience food isn't all that convenient for a tight budget.

Formula can't even be considered convenience food, except for the most expensive "ready to feed" bottles. What convenience food requires special equipment to prepare the serving vessel, requires that water be boiled then cooled, before the food itself can be prepared? My usual answer to the "why not formula" question is that I'm not sterilizing anything at three in the morning. Formula is a godsend for mothers who cannot produce sufficient milk (not common, but it happens), mothers who must take medication incompatible with nursing, and for babies who lose their mothers early. But for many other mothers, it's an expensive, inconvenient option that they are pressed into by family-unfriendly work policies, aggressive marketing strategies, and a culture that is deeply uncomfortable with the true function of the human female breast.

Nursing initiation and continuance rates are especially poor among African-American women. Formula is marketed quite aggressively to black folk, and black women are more likely to have the insecure, low-paying jobs that aren't conducive to pumping and storing milk. We can often ill afford time off from work when we are employed, and we often wind up in the sorts of birth facilities that have outdated policies about feeding newborns and caring for new mothers. There's also a more troubling factor: poorer folk often have less time and access to the latest health info, which means that they may get the bulk of their parenting guidance from elders and commercial literature. Advice from elders can be great- but it can also be deadly. I've been instructed to feed Zak cow's milk and cereal at the age of two weeks, to not buy a car seat, and to put him on his stomach to sleep- all things known to be dangerous, even fatal, to infants today. I've ignored that advice, but if that was the only information I'd gotten, what else could I be expected to do? I was warned that breastfeeding was too hard and painful, and that I'd shortly give it up. If I hadn't done my homework, I'd probably miss out on one of the most satisfying experiences in my life.

Right now, nursing is magic. Zak's tired? Nurse him down. Zak's teething? Comfort nursing. Zak's hot? Forget Gatorade- foremilk hits the spot. It comforts us both- him with the closeness, the sucking and the milk. Me with knowing Zak couldn't get better food than what is made just for him, and that I'm able to comfort him. God willing, he'll grow up happy, healthy, and strong, and I will have given him the best possible start. Doesn't every baby deserve the same?

5 comments:

  1. Way to go. More women need to speak out about this. I whole-heartedly agree with everything that you've said here and encourage anyone else who loves babies to do the same!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Not only that, but breastmilk provides immunities tailored specifically to the baby's age and needs, protects against allergies, and is a panacea when applied topically to anything from conjunctivitis to minor cuts and scratches. For me, it is actually a miracle food.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm considering becoming a breastfeeding educator, in the hopes that especially African American women will be encouraged to initiate and continue nursing. African Americans are at higher risk for SIDS, and breastfeeding is linked to a decreased risk for SIDS- and that's just the most dramatic reason to get more women nursing.

    ReplyDelete
  4. ASAK,
    I am closing in on the 2 year mark with my son, I got a lot of support and information from almost all the staff of the hospital and from all my family.

    It was a little difficult in the beginning because he was always hungry and it was hard to find a place to nurse him while we were out doing errands. After a while it got easier as we both got more practice. I never could understand the bottle feeding thing, it just seemed like so much work.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Long before breast feeding was in vogue and considered the right thing to do, I breastfed all my children, all 4 to be exact. I was made fun of a few times. It was one of my favorite things to do for my children, I loved those quiet special feeding times. Good for you for speaking out, this is so important for our children, for our children's health, and even for mothers to understand what we alone can give our children a special head start in life.

    ReplyDelete