Tuesday, September 15, 2009

Mea culpa.

It's one thing to vent, but it seems lately that I've been complaining about one person or another nearly constantly. My ex is a jerk, my family are a bunch of control freaks, yada, yada, yada. While it's true that my ex won't be earning any Father of the Year awards, and my relatives have more issues than Harpers' Weekly, it's time to accentuate the positive.

My ex could be worse. He's actually provided for Zak. Not as much as I'd like, but he does do something. He seems to want to be a decent father, even if he's improvising. That should not be taken for a sign that I ought to crawl back to him like he wants, but a sign that I have more than some, and ought to be grateful. It was my hope that this man, who grew up in a broken home, would beat the odds and be an admired husband and devoted father. Maybe he can be that to someone else one day.

My family took me in during one of the darkest moments of my life and never asked for a penny. They are in danger for harboring a woman escaping an abusive relationship, but seldom made me feel as though I was a burden or unwanted. Even those who want me to move in with them so that I may be under their control (I'm talking about you, Grandma), are acting out of concern. My Grandma thinks she can protect me better than the strapping young men around here. I wouldn't mess with the lady for love or money, but I also wouldn't put her in harm's way with a crazy fool whose illusions have shattered.

While I'm expressing gratitude, I have to thank God for those who've reached out and helped me during this time. I cried out for support and advice when I was pregnant, frightened, and facing divorce. What I got was an honorary uncle and Jewish godmother for my son, a chance to get to know family members that I hadn't seen in years, and the strength I need to keep going on this uncertain path. 

I am blessed far more than I deserve.

No comments:

Post a Comment