Thursday, September 10, 2009

On the road again...

I'm traveling for the first time with the Milk Monster, and so many issues present themselves: travel crib or co-sleep? What toys should I take for the flight? Will it be OK to read to the Milk Monster on the flight? But most importantly: what to knit on the trip?
I've got Zak's other sock to do, but I'm on the foot, it's cuff down, and it's for a baby- not nearly enough of a project to last me for more than a week of my Grandma going on about how incompetent I am as a parent. I don't have the needles I need for his cardi, and I don't want to do anything in the round, as I use DPN's, and if I lose one on the plane, I'll be an unhappy camper. I need a single-point needle project, preferably using stash yarn.A scarf would fit the bill, and so would another bath mitt. But I don't want to do another bath mitt so soon after the last, and I need something with color interest. Sounds like a job for (trumpets, please)- a  hand-painted yarn!
The crystal ball indicates that I've some online yarn shopping in my future, as I've no hand-painted worsted weight in my stash. I could pick up some size 4 straight needles then, too Any suggestions?

3 comments:

  1. I have done a TON of solo traveling with a baby/toddler/child, so if you need any suggestions, feel free to ask!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm hoping for yarn/project recommendations, and any tips on flying with a breastfed five month old.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Tips for travel w/ 5 month old:
    Put baby on front with a carrier
    Put diaper bag stuff in a backpack on back
    Keep ID and ticket in an accessible pocket.
    Pack light. Try to nurse on take off and landing. If, baby is asleep for landing generally leave him alone. Try to board early to get yourself settled. Try to be the last one off so you are not rushed with your little one. Change his diaper before you get on the plane. Plane restrooms are incredibly small. Don't expect anyone to help you but, be grateful when they do. Practice doing anything you think you might do while wearing or holding Zak.

    ReplyDelete