Thursday, September 17, 2009

Oh let him be- my teddy bear.

So, I've discovered the joys- or at least the conveniences- of bed sharing with Zak.

I hadn't planned on bed sharing at all while pregnant, but like so many things that I didn't plan, it happened anyway. From day one, Zak has slept best and longest the closer he was to me. In the hospital, the devices they had around my ankles made getting out of bed next to impossible, so Zak's first nights were spent nestled against me so that I could nurse him.  Since then, he'd been spending a portion of the night with me, and the rest in a Moses basket next to my bed. But circumstances are calling for a slight change.

Traveling with an infant is not easy, not by a long shot. Figuring out where the Milk Monster will sleep was one of the bigger challenges. I'd thought of a travel crib, but that would require enough floor space for me to roll out a sleeping bag next to the travel crib. Houses of the urban Eastern Seaboard being what they are, i.e. cramped and moldy, that wasn't an option. I'd no idea how Zak would take to a travel crib anyway, as he'll do anything in a crib but sleep.

The best solutions are often the simplest ones. Zak is used to spending a portion of the night in my bed- he gets two "midnight snacks" and some comfort sucking during the night. I'm used to securing Zak in my bed so that he won't roll off, and I've grown used to sleeping without pillows or blankets. *sigh* He'll be in a new place, meeting all sorts of new faces, one of which makes his mom rather nervous. Being by my side as much as possible will be convenient and comforting. Why, again, do I have a crib?

No comments:

Post a Comment