Tuesday, August 18, 2009

Fancy a cuppa?

Tea, the sovereign remedy. I love it hot, iced (a blasphemy, I know), black, green and herbal, with mint and orange blossom water, with lemon and honey, with half a dozen spices, with sugar and milk. It's seen me through stressful days at work, a wretched marriage, a scorching day. Tea has eased my nausea and enhanced my milk supply. Is there anything a cup or glass of tea can't do?

I miss my electric kettle, though; it was a wedding gift that I left behind. Not only is it the best way to make a cup, but it's a reminder of a good friend and great mornings in the kitchen preparing breakfast. Not during my marriage- she has one herself, and the comfort of the tea she prepared was second only to her gentle support. She still provides the support over the phone, though. Perhaps I should make myself a cup -by microwave (!)- before I call.

I've never owned a proper tea pot; a Brown Betty is on my list of lovely things I'd like to have. Perhaps one Mother's Day or on my birthday, I'll get one. But what to do if you can't have any caffeine, and decaf just doesn't do it for you? Try this:

3 pods cardamom
1 cinnamon stick
1 wide strip orange zest
1 chunk crystallized ginger
1 cup boiling water
honey to taste

Steep the spices in boiling water for 5-7 minutes; add honey to taste. Curl up with a good book and sip away.

1 comment:

  1. Thank you, I did check out your blog. You're posting in at least two languages- what languages do you speak?

    ReplyDelete