Wednesday, August 12, 2009

Attached by the heart.

Attachment parenting has its benefits, its drawbacks, and like any idea, its kooks. Essentially, it stems from the ideas that a child's emotional needs are just as valid as his or her physical needs, and that having loving people nearby is a need for babies and young children. Such closeness enables them to develop a sense of security that forms a springboard for their growing independence. There are a few elements that help to establish that closeness, such as co-sleeping, babywearing, and breastfeeding. While attachment parenting isn't an all-or-nothing proposition, these things do facilitate closeness.

I never thought I'd be a hippie (are there black Muslim hippies?) but apparently, Zak and I are leaning in that direction. I say "Zak and I" because while I made all-natural body products for Zak before he was born, the babywearing was Zak's idea. I'd bought a Bjorn, but I hadn't planned on wearing it quite as much as Zak demanded- but isn't that the story of parenthood- making plans, then having them shattered by your darling offspring?

Zak, thank God, is a happy, healthy, active baby. I can't help but think that it's due in part to the loving attention he receives almost 24/7. He's never left to "cry it out", and I'm rarely more than a room away from him. He's growing like a weed, meeting and exceeding milestones, and is pretty amazing in general. So why, oh why, am I getting grief for my parenting choices?

If I were to basically ignore Zak but give him every baby toy ever made, I'd be deemed a pretty decent mother- not "spoiling" him, but giving him things to amuse himself. Even if I could afford all those doodads, I wouldn't dream of doing so. The best I can give my son is myself- my time, my affection, the milk my body makes for him. Yet a mother's love is deemed too good for a child- but what should you give a child other than the very best?

My son is asleep, right where he should be- next to my heart.

1 comment:

  1. Umm, I wholly support your methods in this case. You are setting a good foundation for Zak's future. :-)

    ReplyDelete