Saturday, October 31, 2009

Grand opening!

I'm quite excited- it's been a very full week. Turning thirty, sleep issues with the Milk Monster, and opening my online shop have all left me feeling wrung out.
Perhaps Zak was reacting to the excitement of me churning out all sorts of salves and potions, but he's had a hard time sleeping at night lately. He 's not had this much trouble since those early days, but I'm sure we'll pull through. In the meantime, I've been logging some good time on the treadmill because of this. At least he's still able to get to sleep by being in the Moby wrap or Bjorn while I walk about. But I'm burying the lead: Zak has now been "introduced" to solids.
We skipped over that nasty rice cereal stuff and went for roasted sweet  potato. Zak wasn't terribly thrilled with it, and I'm hoping that avocado or apple goes better. I figure that if I were that young again, I'd want some flavor, some sweetness, and maybe even some texture- none of which can be found in your box of rice cereal. So it's fruits and veggies to start with.
In the meantime, Zak is still almost exclusively breastfed, if you count the 2 tablespoons of sweet potato he's had in the past week. This may shock the doctor we're scheduled to see- anyone know what to do when the doctor faints?
At long last, the store is open. I've got a great salve for everything from diaper rash to dry lips, a rich hand and body cream, a brown sugar scrub, and an oatmeal soap that's ugly but my favorite so far. Take a look at:
http://www.etsy.com/shop/ummzak .
Someone's next set of teeth may be coming in, so I've got soothing to do. Be well.

5 comments:

  1. My daughter didn't eat solids until she was 14 months old… I kept trying, sweet potatoes, avocado, everything, and she was adamant in her refusal until she wasn't. She was fine and now eats wonderfully, so don't worry if he's not interested! Breastmilk will keep him happy, healthy and growing until he's ready for something else – and he'll let you know when he is.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I bought a mesh feeder for Zak, and put a few pieces of apple in there for him. He's quite enjoying the apple. We'll see how it goes w/avocados.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Why wuld the doctor be surprised? Most will encourage it! Hey-I'm still nursing Noor night and day, and she's 22 months! Yousuf went till he was almost 2 and 1/2.

    anyway nice to see/talk to you again old roomy! :)

    Laila

    ReplyDelete
  4. We live in such a formula oriented culture, many docs aren't prepared for a mom who is actually following American Academy of Pediatrics recommendations. Doctors are just as much a product of culture as anyone else.

    ReplyDelete
  5. You are doing a great job I liked reading you blog and I loved keep on the good work on I don’t know if I have said it already or not but great wok tack care thank you

    ReplyDelete